The main objectives of Commission 1 include:
- Definition, establishment, maintenance and improvement of the geodetic reference frames;
- Advanced terrestrial and space observation technique development for the above purposes.
- International collaboration for the definition and deployment of networks of terrestrially-based space geodetic observatories.
- Theory and coordination of astrometric observation for reference frame purposes.
- Collaboration with space geodesy/reference frame related international services, agencies and organizations.
- Promote the definition and establishment of vertical reference systems at global level, considering the advances in the regional sub-commissions.
- Work to maintain a reference frame that is valuable for global change studies.