In collaboration with the IAG community, its service organisations and the national geodetic organizations of North America, the aims and objectives of this regional sub-commission are to provide international focus and cooperation for issues involving the horizontal, vertical and three dimensional geodetic control networks of North America. Some of these issues include:
- Densification of the ITRF reference frame in North America and the promotion of its use.
- Maintenance and future evolution of plate-fixed geometric reference frames for North America, including the North American Datum of 1983 (NAD83) and any possible successors.
- Maintenance and future evolution of vertical datums (ellipsoidal and orthometric), including the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (NAVD88) and the International Great Lakes Datum (IGLD).
- Effects of crustal motion, including post-glacial rebound and tectonic motions along, e.g., the western coast of North America and in the Caribbean
- Standards for the accuracy of geodetic positions.
- Outreach to the general public through focused symposia, articles, workshops and lectures, and technology transfer to other groups.