In collaboration with the IAG community and its services organisations and the National and Regional Mapping Organisations of Africa, the aims and objectives of Sub-commission 1.3d (Africa) are:
- To define the continental reference system of Africa. Establish and maintain a unified geodetic reference network as the fundamental basis for the national 3-d reference networks fully consistent and homogeneous with the global reference frame of the ITRF.
- To realize a unified vertical datum and support efforts to establish a precise African geoid, in concert with the African Geoid project activities.
- To establish continuous, permanent GPS stations such that each nation or each user has free access to, and is at most 500km from, such stations.
- To provide a sustainable development environment for technology transfer, so that these activities will enhance the national networks, and numerous applications, with readily available technology.
- To understand the necessary geodetic requirements of participating national and international agencies.
- To assist in establishing in-country expertise for implementation, operations, processing and analyses of modern geodetic techniques, primarily GPS.